There are several ways you can take Xtampza® ER other than swallowing the capsule whole. Work with your doctor to make sure the way you are taking Xtampza ER is meeting your needs.
Ways to take Xtampza ER
You have 4 options for taking your medication:
Sprinkle into a cup
of liquid and then
Xtampza ER MUST be taken with food.
Please see the Instructions for Use in the full Prescribing Information for more details, or talk to your healthcare provider.
Open Xtampza ER capsule and sprinkle contents over approximately 1 tbsp of soft food.
Swallow all of the sprinkled capsule contents. This should be swallowed right away. Do not save any of the soft food and capsule contents for another dose.
Drink a small amount of liquid to make sure you swallow all of the capsule contents.
Flush the empty capsule down the toilet right away.
Do not take Xtampza ER if you have:
- severe asthma, trouble breathing, or other lung problems
- a bowel blockage, or have narrowing of the stomach or intestines
Before taking Xtampza ER, tell your healthcare provider if you have a history of:
- head injury, seizures
- liver, kidney, thyroid problems
- problems urinating
- pancreas or gallbladder problems
- abuse of street or prescription drugs, alcohol addiction, or mental health problems
Tell your healthcare provider if you are:
- pregnant or planning to become pregnant. Prolonged use of Xtampza ER during pregnancy can cause withdrawal symptoms in your newborn baby that could be life-threatening if not recognized and treated
- breastfeeding. Not recommended during treatment with Xtampza ER. It may harm your baby
- taking prescription or over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, or herbal supplements. Taking Xtampza ER with certain other medicines can cause serious side effects that could lead to death
When taking Xtampza ER:
- Do not change your dose. Take Xtampza ER exactly as prescribed by your healthcare provider. Use the lowest dose possible for the shortest time needed
- Take your prescribed dose every 12 hours, at the same time every day. Do not take more than your prescribed dose. If you miss a dose, take your next dose at your usual time
- If you cannot swallow Xtampza ER capsules, see the detailed Instructions for Use in the Medication Guide
- Always take Xtampza ER capsules with approximately the same amount of food to ensure enough medicine is absorbed
- Swallow Xtampza ER whole. Do not snort or inject Xtampza ER because this may cause you to overdose and die
- The contents of the Xtampza ER capsules may be sprinkled on soft food, sprinkled into a cup and then put directly into the mouth, or given through a nasogastric or gastrostomy tube
- Call your healthcare provider if the dose you are taking does not control your pain
- Do not stop taking Xtampza ER without talking to your healthcare provider
- Dispose of expired, unwanted or unused Xtampza ER by promptly flushing down the toilet, if a drug take-back option is not readily available. Visit www.fda.gov/drugdisposal for additional information on disposal of unused medicines
While taking Xtampza ER, DO NOT:
- Drive or operate heavy machinery, until you know how Xtampza ER affects you. Xtampza ER can make you sleepy, dizzy, or lightheaded
- Drink alcohol or use prescription or over-the-counter medicines that contain alcohol. Using products containing alcohol during treatment with Xtampza ER may cause you to overdose and die
The possible side effects of Xtampza ER are:
- constipation, nausea, sleepiness, vomiting, tiredness, headache, dizziness, abdominal pain. Call your healthcare provider if you have any of these symptoms and they are severe
Get emergency medical help if you have:
- trouble breathing, shortness of breath, fast heartbeat, chest pain, swelling of your face, tongue, or throat, extreme drowsiness, light-headedness when changing positions, feeling faint, agitation, high body temperature, trouble walking, stiff muscles, or mental changes such as confusion
These are not all the possible side effects of Xtampza ER. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. For more information, go to dailymed.nlm.nih.gov.
Start a routine
Pick a specific time that you’ll take your Xtampza ER each morning and night (make sure the times are 12 hours apart). This will help you remember to take your medication consistently.
Take with food
Xtampza ER must be taken with food. That’s because food helps your body absorb the medicine to relieve your pain. Take it with approximately the same amount of food each time.
Discuss any changes in your dose with your doctor
If you are finding that your dose of Xtampza ER isn’t controlling your pain, don’t increase your dose or stop taking the medication. Talk to your doctor first. Your doctor will work with you to make sure you are receiving the dose that best meets your needs.
Storing Xtampza ER
Storing Xtampza ER properly is an important way to keep your prescription safe and secure.
Keep your prescription:
at room temperature
in a secure location to prevent others from taking it
Selling or giving away Xtampza ER is against the law.
Disposing of Xtampza ER
It’s important to discard unused medications properly and not save them after you are no longer using the medicine. The Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) has an online tool to help you find authorized collectors, such as retail pharmacies, hospitals, or clinic pharmacies, that can take your unused medication.
If these options are not available to you, you can flush your unused Xtampza ER capsules down the toilet.
According to the DEA,11.8 million pounds* of medication have been collected on Take Back days.*As of April 2019.